Friday, January 11, 2013

Healthy meals on-the-go: avoiding airport food

I've never enjoyed eating at the airport. For the most part, the food courts are typically filled with fast-food chain restaurants, and the new eateries selling healthier foods tend to be very pricey. In times past, I would end up either spending far too much on my meals or would rummage around the general goods store in search of a healthy snack (such as almonds or a Kashi bar) to hold me over until I had arrived at my destination. It's a good thing that there are no restrictions on bringing in outside food like there are liquids, because yesterday before leaving for the airport I decided to pack my own healthy meal. Being in a time-crunch to make it to the airport, I ended up making myself a quinoa and avocado bowl, sprinkled with ground-garlic and pepper. Using the pre-cooked single serving quinoa bowls sold at Fresh and Easy (preparation only taking 30-seconds in the microwave) and mashing in a small avocado, this meal only took me a few minutes prepare. Not only is it packed with protein (quinoa being considered a super-food due to it being a complete protein), but it is also a good source of fiber that kept me feeling full through the long plane ride. Another plus: I didn't have to spend any money on marked-up airport food, and any college student out there can appreciate that!

No comments:

Post a Comment