Saturday, May 25, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend: preparing for an American-style feast

When I think of Memorial Day weekend, my mind automatically goes to our brave troops (both past and present), pool parties, picnics, and cook-outs. This relaxing weekend has arrived yet again, which means that it's time to throw on the aprons, grab a swimsuit, and call up family and friends to celebrate! 

Since the foods prepared on this occasion tend to pack on the calories and aren't always the most nutritious (just think about all of the mayo that goes into the coleslaw and potato salads, the typical white-bread hamburger and hotdog buns, and all of that butter used to coat the corn-on-the-cob, just to name a few examples), I'm here to offer some recipes that put a healthy spin on some of the classics. With the many links I provide below, I'm confident that at least a few of these recipes will get your mouth watering. Cook some of these up for your Memorial Day party and you'll be able to dig in without the guilt! 




Greek Salmon Burgers (I would recommend a whole-wheat bun in place of a ciabatta roll)










BBQ Turkey Burgers (Again, I would recommend a whole-wheat bun rather than one of the white variety)




If you're set on making some special recipes of your own that might not be on the healthy-side, consider making some slight adjustments to them! For a list of ingredients that can be substituted for healthier ones, click the link here! And for more burger recipes, check out my Burgers board on Pinterest!

Also, a very special thank you to my step-brother, Harrison, who served in the U.S. Marine corps. Thank you for your time in Iraq and your service to our country. 

No comments:

Post a Comment