Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Cauliflower "breadsticks": you'd never know you were eating veggies

Behold, a healthy snack/side dish that my roommate actually approves of! When it comes to food, my roomie, Casey, is the pickiest eater of anyone I've yet to encounter. This is why when he told me that he wanted to start getting into shape and eating healthier, I knew I had a challenge on my hands.

My biggest obstacle: to prove to Casey that healthy meals and snacks can taste awesome.

Now, let's just put things into perspective: while at the grocery store stocking up on nutritious foods and beverages, Casey did not hesitate to shoot down my many suggestions. Greek yogurt, carrots, blueberries, and green tea were out of the question, as were nearly every other recommendation I made.  He was more than willing though to reach for the Dorritos, soda, and frozen pizza (these didn't quite make it to the check-out). It became clear that if I was going to convince Casey that a healthy diet could be a delicious one, we were going to have to pull out the cookware.

For those of you who are like Casey and don't enjoy eating raw veggies or trail-mix without M&Ms, you'd be surprised by how very different healthy foods can taste when they're cooked up and transformed into something completely new. This is just what many of the recipes I have pinned on my Pinterest aim to do, one of such recipes being the cauliflower "breadsticks" from Mama Grubbs Grub. These were ridiculously easy to make; the hardest part was waiting for them to finish baking!

The recipe calls for half a head of cauliflower, one whole egg, one egg white, 2% mozzarella cheese (we used Daiya's non-dairy mozzarella cheese instead), dried basil, oregano, parsley, and just a tablespoon of olive oil. Asides from the ingredients, a grater is needed to grind the cauliflower into fine, mixable bits, as well as something to beat the eggs with and to mix all of the ingredients together (we used a fork). Once all was mixed, we spread the concoction onto a backing sheet, popped the tray in the oven, and let bake for 50 minutes total. Once ready, we pulled the tray out, cut the cauliflower "bread" into sticks, and devoured them. Yes, me and Casey. He loved them! This is definitely a recipe we'll be making again, and I strongly recommend you try them out for yourself!

5 comments:

  1. yum! my friend and i made a cauliflower crusted pizza topped with veggies of our choice for dinner tonight.

    here is the link:

    http://pinterest.com/pin/262405115760547302/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting to try out a cauliflower pizza! Thanks for the link elleblaire!!

      Delete
  2. My pleasure. Now I realize I look like i'm clogging the comments section, but I have a friend who i'm currently in the works of living a healthier lifestyle, and I found this link to be helpful.

    http://detoxinista.com/recipes/sweet-treats/

    Ok I promise I'm done now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That website is great, everything looks so delicious! Thanks for another awesome link elleblaire! And please, keep the comments coming! :)

    ReplyDelete