Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Microwaveable Pumpkin Pie: a dessert to be thankful for

Based on the popularity of my microwaveable chocolate cake post, I thought I'd try out a healthy microwave-made dessert fitting for fall. Naturally, it had to be pumpkin related, and though I recently posted about pumpkin pie greek yogurt, I wanted to try making something that came close to resembling the look and texture of authentic pumpkin pie. With a little help from Pinterest, I was able to find a recipe that fit my criteria.

After making this nutritious take on the holiday classic myself and getting the thumbs up from my trusty taste-tester, Casey, I knew I'd chosen wisely. Though a crust is lacking, it's a small price to pay for indulging guilt-free. This delectable treat will leave you feeling satisfied for just around 75 calories and only calls for a handful of ingredients:

- 1/2 cup unsalted canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup egg-whites
- A dash of cinnamon
- 1 packet stevia
- Optional topping: a dollop of TruWhip or TruWhip Light (this will bring up the calorie count, but only by about 30 calories)

To bake, pour all ingredients into a greased, microwave-safe dish (I coated a large coffee cup with extra-virgin olive oil) and microwave for 3 minutes. According to your microwave's heat settings, cooking times may vary.
The original recipe from SHAPE said to microwave the mixture for 2 minutes, but I chose to add on additional time to achieve a fluffier consistency.

Once out of the microwave, don't let your excitement get to you and give your pie a few minutes to cool before eating. Otherwise, you'll end up with a very burnt tongue... which really takes away from the deliciousness of it all. With this recipe on hand, you no longer have to wait for Thanksgiving to dig into some pumpkin pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment