Friday, October 11, 2013

Jicama: my newfound food obsession

I'd never thought of making jicama (a.k.a. the Mexican potato or turnip) a staple on my grocery list, but ever since my post on my grilled tilapia dinner, I haven't been able to stop eating them! (I may or may not be eating some as I type this.) Not a bad thing either, considering a cup's worth comes in at only 46 calories, 11 grams carbohydrates, and 2 grams of sugar, along with a couple of other advantageous features.

Previous to my research, I didn't see this root veggie as more than a way to add some crunch to an otherwise crunch-less salad, but recently, its health benefits have been called to my attention. Little did I know that this juicy vegetable, having the consistency of an apple and a subtlety sweet and nutty flavor, provides you with substantial amounts of vitamin C and fiber. Considering a large number of us fail to get enough fiber in our diets, this may be a beneficial food for you to be eating as well!

Jicama can be eaten raw, boiled, or roasted, and it makes a great addition to salads, stir-fries, and soups. You can also slice jicama into sticks and use them as a chip replacement for dipping in guacamole and hummus; just think about all of the sodium and fat you could save yourself by swapping out the chip bowl for a plate of fresh jicama! For a more traditional method of preparing jicama, you can flavor your slices in the popular Central American way of squeezing on some lemon or lime and adding a dash of chili powder. This makes for a light and flavorful appetizer or snack and can be ready in a matter of minutes!

When selecting jicama from your local market's produce section, Cooking Light advises that you look for ones that are firm, un-shriveled, and dry with no blemishes. Jicama is available year-round, so if you've never experimented with it before, consider picking one up on your next run to the food store!

2 comments:

  1. how do you not get hungry/ indulge when you're out with friends in social settings eating mexican food? Eating's fun.. it's a social thing..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey elleblaire,

      I apologize in advance for the lengthiness, but I have a lot to say! First off, as I always say, there's nothing wrong with indulging from time to time! It's all about finding a balance. Coming from Texas, I know how hard it can be to control yourself at a Mexican restaurant; I've left the table plenty a time feeling as if I'd consumed the equivalent of a few days worth of food. Not wanting to feel sluggish and over-stuffed after each trip to a Mexican restaurant, I started practicing some self-discipline. Over time, I was able to come up with a few tactics that make a huge difference on how I feel after my meal:

      I found that by putting a handful of chips onto my plate as opposed to mindlessly reaching my hand into the chip basket helps a lot. In doing so, I don’t fill myself up before the actual meal arrives. This also helps me to slow the pace at which I eat them (got to make them last!), giving my stomach time to digest and tell me that I’ve had enough. If I were to finish my serving long before my meal arrived, I might feel tempted to reach for more. I find it’s best to avoid that altogether.

      Something else that always helps me stay in check is ordering chicken fajitas (prepared without salt) and corn tortillas. Rather than having a huge entrée piled with cheese set in front of me (how could someone not feel inclined to eat the whole thing?), I make myself a couple of chicken tacos, adding in black beans (I always get these over refried), guacamole, salsa, and a sprinkle of cheese. By preparing the food myself, I can control how much goes onto my plate, and whatever is left over I have packed up for lunch the following day.

      If chicken fajitas aren’t your preference, fish tacos make for another delicious and healthy option. Now, if you would rather indulge in a less healthy meal, such as cheese enchiladas, consider splitting the dish with a friend and order a soup or salad appetizer to fill you up a bit beforehand. In doing so, you can still leave feeling satisfied, and you may even end up eating less of your share than you had planned on! I hope these tips will be helpful for you too, elleblaire!

      Delete