Saturday, July 27, 2013

Chocolate Mug Cake: need I say more

I'll admit that when it comes to sweets, I'm pretty disciplined. But when it comes to cake, especially guilt-free cake, I have zero willpower. After coming across a recipe for a healthy chocolate mug cake by Desserts With Benefits, I knew action had to be taken. I already had most of the ingredients in my kitchen and the recipe required just under 5 minutes of baking time in the microwave, so there was no doubt that said cake was going to happen.

I was pretty surprised by how delicious-looking a cake so effortless could be, but looks can be deceiving. I decided to bring in my incredibly picky roommate for a taste test, not telling him the ingredients used in order to elicit an unbiased response. Only after receiving a positive verdict did I let him in on the recipe's ingredients: 

- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk (I used Almond Breeze Vanilla Unsweetened)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 4 packets stevia (the recipe states to use Truvia, but any brand of stevia should be fine)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened, regular cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons oat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed (I omitted the flaxseeds since I forgot to buy them, but if you have them handy I definitely recommend adding them in)

 In the 4 minutes and 30 seconds it took for the cake to bake, I was able to do a full clean up and lick the batter bowl clean. Coming out of the microwave rich and fluffy, this mug cake exceeded my expectations. It was especially good with a spoonful of Truwhip light. This made for an awesome all-natural and organic (... and low-calorie, low-sodium, low-fat, low-carb) alternative to store-bought icing and didn't require the additional prep and ingredients that would have gone into making a healthy homemade one. This dessert gives you plenty of reasons to pass up the pre-made cakes from the grocery store to try out this super easy and healthy cake instead! 
For cooking directions, click the link here!

No comments:

Post a Comment