Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Workouts: using kettlebells to blast calories

The first time I laid eyes on a rack of kettlebells, I made sure to keep my distance. I'm not exactly sure why, but a black iron ball with an attached handle just looked scary. Don't let that tough appearance frighten you though; after a single strength-training class that incorporated these excellent pieces of equipment, I saw them in a completely new light.

Implementing the kettlebell into your workout routine is a great way to work multiple areas of the body at once. Sarah Laurie, founder of Iron Core Kettlebell Strength and Conditioning in San Diego, explains that kettlebells work to hit all of the major muscle groups simultaneously instead of isolating a single muscle. This is due to the weight being unevenly distributed throughout, unlike the weight distribution of dumbbells. As a result, your muscles have to work harder to keep you balanced, which is key for kettlebell training exercises. Utilizing a range of motion, these moves allow for you to tone while also getting in some heart-pumping cardio. The outcome? Some major calorie-burn and fast results.

If you're thinking about picking up a kettlebell during your next workout session, check out the video below for some ideas on how to put it to good use!

1 comment:

  1. The first time I laid eyes on a rack of kettlebells, I made sure to keep my distance. I'm not exactly sure why, but a black iron ball with an attached handle just looked scary. become a kettlebell instructor

    ReplyDelete