Saturday, August 24, 2013

Workouts: HIITing your fitness goals in minimal time

With the fall semester beginning this Monday, I realized that I needed to find some efficient yet effective workouts for the days I'm pressed for time. Scoring YouTube for equipment-free, full-body routines, I came across one HIIT (high intensity interval training) video after the next. With each running for approximately 15-40 minutes in length, they definitely fit my criteria in terms of efficiency, but what about effectiveness? Curious to see how great of a workout I could get in from one of these relatively short videos, I decided to give one a try.

Sweat dripping down my face and out of breath, my previous doubt had become laughable by the end of the video. Though the workout was shorter in length than one of my usual routines, it was by no means easier. 

For those of you who aren't familiar with the fitness craze, HIIT consists of short rounds of max intensity exercise with recovery periods in between. Studies have shown that HIIT can provide you with similar or even greater results than those achieved with endurance training. It's also been said that you can improve exercise performance through this method of training.

While this form of exercise is great for those who want to see solid results while putting in little time, it's not recommended for everyone due to how physically demanding it can be. Even those in stellar shape need to be careful when taking up HIIT; it has been recommended by many fitness professionals alike to keep HITT training to no more than three times a week. Your body needs time to recover, and pushing yourself too hard could result in overtraining or injury. 

Interested in giving HIIT a try? The video below from Fitness Blender (an awesome source of at-home workout videos) is killer, but you'll be done before you know it! 



Tip: If you choose to do an at-home HIIT exercise video, don't watch it beforehand. By leaving the element of surprise, it's like going to a workout class: you have a general idea of what to expect, but you don't know exactly what moves will be thrown at you. In the past when I'd look up workout videos, I would watch the video first and then decide whether the exercises were manageable or too challenging for my level of fitness. I've come to realize that by not watching the video prior, I'll attempt each move and do my best to keep up. If for some reason I can't, I'll either slow my pace or take a few breathes rest. Improving your fitness is all about pushing yourself, so that being said, press play and get going!

No comments:

Post a Comment