Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Fourth of July: recipes for your star spangled cookout

Come July 4th, I'll be donning my red, white, and blue to celebrate America's birthday. For many like myself, this holiday is all about American pride, lawn chairs, fireworks, and cookouts with family and friends. Naturally, this means lots and lots of food. Burgers and hot dogs are always sure to make an appearance, along with chips, dip, lemonade, baked beans, coleslaw, ice cream, and all of the other good stuff. Any food-filled social gathering can easily result in a caloric overhaul of sugar, grease, and fat, so if you're trying to keep it lean, why not incorporate some healthier recipes into the party's potluck? Check out some of these delicious (and still patriotic) recipes for a healthier assortment!

Roasted Corn with Basil-Shallot Vinaigrette

Healthy and Homemade Baked Beans

Blueberry, Strawberry, and Jicama Salsa

Cinnamon Coconut Potato Chips

Grilled Watermelon Salad

Spicy-Sweet Slaw

Honey Ginger Lemonade

Avocado Deviled Eggs

Salmon Burgers

Clean Eating Spinach Dip

Turkey Burgers with Roasted Eggplant

Southwestern Quinoa and Black Bean Casserole

Beer-B-Q Chicken Breasts

Parsnip and Carrot Chips

Grilled Peaches with Rosemary and Balsamic Vinegar

Since there is no other dessert more American than pie, I've included a few different recipes for far healthier versions of the classics from The Gracious Pantry:

Clean Eating Cherry Pie

Clean Eating Apple Pie

Clean Eating Pecan Pie

Clean Eating Blueberry Pie

If you already have another burger recipe in mind, consider incorporating some of these tips from SELF Magazine on how to cut calories from your burger, and if you're looking for a healthier hotdog, check out this article from Health Magazine on the best and worst hotdogs you can buy at the food store!

P.S. ~
I'd like to apologize for posting late today. I wasn't anticipating on getting back as late as I had from my road trip back to California from Texas. That being said, I will now be going back to my usual post times (around 3-5:30 p.m., unless I'm able to do so earlier)!

No comments:

Post a Comment