Friday, March 21, 2014

Coco-Vino: an alternative take on wine

When I last left off, I'd made a promise for an intoxicating post to follow, and that is exactly what I have to deliver today. I thought it only appropriate for this week's topic to be alcohol-related, seeing as how I celebrated my 21st birthday last week! So, given that it's Friday and therefore the start of the weekend, why not kick it off with a glass of wine? Not just any wine, though. Consider this: white wine + coconut water.

Does such a combination sound as appealing to you as it did to me? Not only does this beverage provide you with antioxidants from the wine (which have the potential to aid in lung health), but it also supplies you with good doses of potassium and magnesium from the coconut water! Now, that's a beneficial drink if I'd ever heard of one.

I'd experimented with Blue Monkey's pure coconut water and with Naked's peach mango coconut water. Using the pure coconut water, the wine took on a thicker body and lighter taste. With the peach mango, the coconut water proved to be far more overpowering and thus made for a drink that tasted more like juice than wine. Both tasted great, so if you're unsure of which to go for, I recommend buying both and doing some experimentation of your own.

I would imagine that either of Naked's flavored coconut waters would pair well (the other being pineapple), or you could try out one of Zico's fruit-flavored varieties, coming in passion fruit, strawberry banana, tropical, mango, and pineapple as well. Keep in mind that the flavored options may contain more sugar than regular coconut water, depending on the brand.

To make this coco-vino beverage inspired by Averie Cooks, you'll need:

- A bottle of white wine (I used Pinot Grigio, but you could opt for a different type of white wine or use champagne)
- A bottle/can of coconut water (look for one that doesn't contain added sugars)

Fill half of your glass with wine and the other with coconut water. Give it a stir, and drink up! Cheers to good health! 

No comments:

Post a Comment