Friday, September 13, 2013

Roasted Balsamic Brussels Sprouts: the recipe to silence your inner-child

Balsamic vinegar just may be the best thing to happen to Brussels sprouts since just about anything else happened to them. I say this highly broad statement with the utmost confidence because whenever I decide to whip up some balsamic sprouts, they seem to vanish from the cooking sheet before ever reaching my plate. This wasn't always the story, though. As a kid (just like so many others out there), I refused to eat Brussels sprouts. They were weird looking and notorious for tasting gross, so why bother with them? Well, after many years of a strict Brussels sprouts-free diet, I finally gave one a try. My mouth was then left to fend for itself against a surprise assault of odd-looking, green bulbs.

So, what crazy combination of ingredients could have possibly caused me, an anti-sprouter, to go on an all out Brussels sprouts binge? Prepare yourselves for this: olive oil and balsamic vinegar. That's it.

If you still happen to be a Brussels sprouts skeptic but are open to giving these a try (or if you already love Brussels sprouts and haven't already tried them this way), to make this recipe you'll need (for 6 servings):

- 1.5 pounds Brussels sprouts
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoons salt (can be omitted)


A popular method of preparing these Brussels sprouts is to slice the bulbs into halves and drizzle the oil and vinegar over them after they've been laid out on a baking sheet. When using this method, I always find myself pouring too much over one area, leaving me with little for the remaining sprouts. To compensate, I end up adding a lot more oil and vinegar. In order to avoid this issue, I like to throw the chopped Brussels sprouts into a large bowl, pour in the olive oil and balsamic, and toss the ingredients together. This allows for an even distribution and prevents me from having to use excess ingredients to coat any neglected sprouts. After all is prepped and laid out on the baking sheet, pop the tray in the oven and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.

I'm thinking that a single bite of these guys will be enough to make you wish you hadn't refused them for so long!

No comments:

Post a Comment